Thursday, December 8, 2011

India 2012

Dear Friends,

To you who have invested in my involvement with women in India; whether you have prayed or given supplies or money, your investment, plus the investment of others has multiplied.  Thank you for partnering with me and EKTA India Missions!   This coming February, 2012, will be my third visit to India as we continue to develop the ministries that were planted.
You have probably heard me tell before, how teaching handcrafts to women opens the door to the Gospel.  By working alongside local churches, we work together to reach women for Christ in a non-threatening way.  I was first a part of this ministry in 2009 and the group of women that came are still meeting monthly.  The crafting was merely a vessel to carry the Gospel.  
Last February, we visited Herbertpur in north India where two women’s groups were started.  We will return there this coming February to not only teach crafts and share the Gospel, but also to more fully develop women’s ministry, the Aruna Project.  What I have been looking forward to sharing with you is this project in the Dehradun/Herbertpur area.  
God put this vision in our hearts.  We are partnering with our partner Pastor Rajeev and his church, Ebenezer House of Prayer and other leaders in the community, who are involved in the development.  We are not ministering TO or AT the people, but WITH them.  Who better to know their needs and cultural nuances but the nationals?  In this way, the ministry is more culturally compatible and has stronger ownership in the community.
The Aruna Project will be a place that provides training for income generating crafts and skills while teaching women about the Gospel.  We will start with teaching tailoring skills on treadle machines and will include worship time, Bible teaching and of course, tea breaks.  Love that chai!  
Our journey to India this February 2012 will be more than a regular mission trip, it is also a vision trip.  We will have a crafting program for women as we’ve done in the past.  But we will also be spending some time in discussion and prayer with our India partners as we go forward with the Aruna Project.  
When I first went to India in 2009, I went because I could teach knitting.  When I went in in 2011, it was to teach foundation pieced quilting but also to develop a women’s group.  And when I go in 2012, it is to develop a Women’s Ministry Center and oh yeah, teach crafting too!  It’s not about the knititng or sewing, it’s all about following where God is leading.  
So many exciting things have been developing since last February, and many times I wanted to share them with you.  I believe that my partnership in India is long term (God willing) and I will update you on what’s happening in India regularly by email.  
I do appreciate your prayers.  Our partners in India and we have committed to fasting prayer as we seek God for guidance on this project.  I have also committed to fasting and to prayer as I seek God’s leading.  Would you be willing to pray for this ministry too?  
I hope that you will partner again with me.  You are as important a part of this ministry as anyone else.  Our roles are just different - some to pray, some to support, some to go.  A beautiful way of doing ministry - together while using our own gifts and abilities.
If someone had told me in 2009 what I would be going to do in India in 2012, I probably would have been too afraid to go!  Thank God that he only shows us a little at a time what he wants us to do.  That has been my prayer this year, that God would go before us and that we would always follow where he leads.  May it be so.

Thank you,



No comments: