Friday, February 24, 2012

First Sunday

One of my favorite things about visiting India is their church services.  I love the worship, the excitement, the way the people act toward each other.  I often think that if you can't find a church community where you live, try another culture!  It will either become home for you, or help you appreciate what you have.

There was a special speaker, Dr. Sam who is from South India, now a missionary to the north.  He spoke in English which was translated to Hindi.  His message on everyone having a purpose, was in the same vein as the message I had prepared to share with the women, "God Doesn't Make Mistakes."  As I sat there, sniffling with my cold, my back aching, I heard the symphony of other coughs, sniffles and groans and felt at one with the congregation.  Forget the pain, the aches, the culture changes, we were all there for one purpose - to worship God.

The painting presented to me during church service
The church presented us with some lovely gifts, paintings done by one of the pastors.  He had done all three in a week!  I was glad to see that our paintings were slightly smaller and could fit in a luggage.  And it did make it safely home, without glass and frame.  

We had lunch with Dr. Sam and his wife, and Rajeev. I enjoyed talking with Dr. Sam and his wife, hearing the story of how they gave up their medical careers to become missionaries and reach the people in remote villages.  They travel around the mountains to share the gospel.  I promised to pray for them, and if you think of them, pray for them too.














No comments: